Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sister Noon

Karen Joy Fowler

Oh, I loved this. It was strange and mysterious and folding and unfolding like origami and moving through time and as unreliable as memory. There were hints of the speculative and the weird, and though nothing was ever really resolved fully, I was completely satisfied. That surprises me, because I really kind of didn't care that much about The Jane Austen Book Club.

Book Club was a very nice book and hooray Austen, but I didn't find it nearly as delectable and charming and delightful and quirky and eat it up num as everyone else in the history of the world apparently did now please be quiet. Now that I know Fowler has such a subtle and skilled touch and an imagination I envy, and does not need to write love stories to be fascinating and wonderful, I am even more disappointed in Book Club, retroactively, and I am sure she'd be bereft to hear that.

I am going to pick up the other copies of her earlier books that we have got in the library, and I think I will be very pleased.

1 Comments:

Blogger jen fu said...

I am glad to come to find out why she is so beloved! Maybe I will get to touch her someday. In the meantime, I'll read her collections.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home