Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mistral's Kiss

Laurell K. Hamilton

Laurell K. Hamilton is one of those authors I read because she is laughably, screamably bad, and for some reason I – enjoy that? I guess I do, because I keep reading her. I have long since stopped providing her money for her already-stuffed pockets which inflates her crazy-insane head inside of which her rat-shaped, slimy-scaled red-eyed ego skitters and picks its nose and shrieks obscenities at the people who don't "get" her awesomeness because we are so not smart enough, you know? It's too much for us. The library, she is a beautiful thing.

Anyway! So I read them because I totally like to challenge myself with poorly-written trash. And I was startled to find that while it is still a trashy, easy, read-in-a-couple-hours kind of book, this was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I know!

There was, of course, the endless parade of "dirty" sex magic and biting and things, but there was an astonishingly small amount of everyone standing around and discussing their next move, and the choreography was not nearly as awkward as it usually is, and though there were the usual "OMG WE LOVE THE HEROINE SHE IS SO GRATE AND TOTALLY PERFEX0R" moments – there was action, and the plot advanced, and the book was short, and I closed it, completely surprised that I had enjoyed it with a minimum amount of rolling my eyes and sniggering. Enjoying is probably the wrong word. It had passed some time in a nearly pleasant way. So my thought is that I have gotten dumber, or LKH might be getting smarter. I think probably I'm dumb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home