Monday, April 02, 2007

We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Shirley Jackson

This is a beautiful remastered (remastered?) edition, with an introduction by Jonathan Lethem (i.e., the man I loved right up until the point where I realized Fortress of Solitude was a giant steaming pile of tofu). The stuff inside the fancy new cover, though, is amazing. It is an eerie, gripping, nightmarish book with one of the most brilliant unreliable narrators I've ever read – subtle and strange, and once you realize something is going on, totally gripping. I guessed at the ending, but I wanted to keep reading all the way to the end, and I was very sad when it was over. And also I am sad that Shirley Jackson is dead.

4 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I read this not too long ago and I really loved it, too. Also, I think "steaming pile of tofu" is a great description of that book, that other one that isn't as good as this one.

I liked this one even more than I liked The Haunting of Hill House.

3:25 PM  
Blogger jen fu said...

I know! I really loved Hill House, and I was surprised how good this was. They call it her masterpiece, and I think I agree.

3:42 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I love unreliable narrators! I will trade you this for Remainder, which I just got back from Jan, if you still want to read it.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also loved this. Much more than "The Haunting of Hill House".

Now, even if following something Columbine wrote I found the book, I am a bit afraid to start "Life Among the Savages". I feel like the anticipation could be the better part and feel that I need to have something by her to look forward to ...

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home