Friday, January 14, 2005

Middlemarch

George Eliot

I finished it, and oh, I'm glad I did. It was huge and complicated and beautiful and moving and incredibly wise - George Eliot is just astonishingly astute and observant and wise and compassionate, and Dorothea is one of the most vivid characters I've ever read - morally and emotionally and physically, particularly physically.

It was all interweaving storylines and funny and tragic and strong female characters and this amazing omniscient even-handedness and at one point I cried and I never do that. But don't tell anyone I did.

The ending kind of broke my heart but was happy and left me satisfied but - it is real, you know? Believable. Awesome. I forgive Eliot the weird gestures she gave Ladislaw, with all his head-tossing.

And man am I glad I finally finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home