Saturday, January 29, 2005

mary roach, i love you

I am reading Stiff, which is subtitled "The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" and it is about, as you might imagine, dead people and the wacky things dead people do, like get blown up and rot and be harvested for bits.

It is, however, not morbid - it's smart, and it's cool, and it is really, really hilarious. And I found myself on the bus this morning thinking "Mary Roach, I wish you were my girfriend."

I also found myself closing the book and putting down my head and crying, out of nowhere, right in the middle of a description of organ retrieval. But not because Mary Roach is not my girlfriend. Because, you know, death. Oh, Death. Bodies! Bits! It's all so final and terrible and beautiful because one death helps save another's life and oh my god, angst, angst, terrible beauty. Woe and despair.

I could be a little crazy.

Call me, Mary!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home