Tuesday, January 18, 2005

written on the booty

I am reading Written on the Body, which is often very pretty, but frequently kind of unbearably pretentious and overwrought. O, Love! O, Beauty! O Endless Beauty of Beautiful Love!

Oh, shut up.

I like it. But I would have liked it more when I was, maybe, 14. And I've been slogging through it because, you know, it's sometimes pretty but we've gotten to the Unbearably Tragic Twist portion of the book's proceedings and really don't think I can wade through much more of this crap.

Wow. My tolerance for Poetic Writing has really dwindled down to nothing.

2 Comments:

Blogger girlfiend said...

I'm with you. I adored Winterson in college but I think I've grown out of my lesbian writer stage. I feel like she takes her writing too seriously. Every now and again it seems she knows her story is taking too pretentious of a turn so she slips in a goofy joke to lighten the mood.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found you via google. Couldn't agree more. This was my favorite book as a teen but I can't bear to read it anymore.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home