Thursday, February 03, 2005

Little Earthquakes

Jennifer Weiner

This was kind of silly, and very slight. Of course, it's the very essence of chicklit, and you know, thus and therefore and whenceforth. And I liked it. I did. It was kind of dumb, and frequently cliched, and frequently I wanted to shake the stupid characters because they were doing stupid things and I got irritated by the sloppy and ridiculous cause and effect kind of writing (cause: girl grows up sad and poor! effect: girl obsessed with material things! etcetera.) and I know it sounds like a terrible book that I hated, but that was all background noise.

It was a pleasant, easy read, had one or two characters which were pretty cool, and you don't really care that nothing was really wrapped up very well at the end, because, you know, shrug.

In otherwords, stationary bike reading. It got me through an hour on that fucker, and that's all I asked for.

1 Comments:

Blogger canknitian said...

I had a bit of a Jennifer Weiner fit a few months ago. I read "Little Earthquakes" (really enjoyed it), "Good in Bed" (pretty good -- I was more attached to those characters in the end than to Ayinde, etc) and "In Her Shoes" (good, worth reading) in about three weeks. Now that's not to say that three books in a three weeks is a lot, but I was scrambling to find them, and it was during the pre-Christmas rush.

Anyway. Enough excuses. On with the point: I like her books. I like reading about her women (esp in GIB & IHS). Her books seem smarter than your average "Shopaholic", you know? More meat to them than the waifs some of the other chick-lit-ers write about.

She writes online regularly, too.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home