Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction

The Writers of the Daily Show, Jon Stewart

John Stewart and his Daily Show cronies, they are funny people, and they are smart people. That Jon Stewart is a very pretty man is not the only reason I watch the show, no no. And that he is the pretty face behind the book is not the only reason I wanted to read it, not at all. I am as into incisive political commentary and satire as any young(ish) liberal, believe you and also me.

The book ended up being ever-so-slightly disappointing. Funny, smart, chock full of incisive political commentary and satire, frequently hitting the mark and frequently silly – and the textbook format was brilliant – but I guess I was not left feeling fresh and invigorated by political outrage. And I was amused, but I did not chortle. I expected a chortle. Is it wrong for a girl to expect a chortle?

I suspect I would have enjoyed this more on audiobook, with pretty John Stewart whispering sweet nebbishy things right into my ear.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, it was much more fun as an audiobook. I chortled. Plus, you know, the pretty voice of the pretty man.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home